Wilfrid Jury Archaeology Day
July 11, 2015 (10:00 am to 4:00 pm)
Celebrate Ontario’s Archaeological heritage and become an archaeologist for a day! There are many activities to enjoy throughout the day. Take part in simulated excavations or try flintknapping and fire starting with a bow drill. There are activities for the whole family so come and enjoy a day at the museum. Admission is free.
- Flinknapping Demonstration: Learn how stone tools are made and give it a try.
- Fire starting (noon to 4): Learn how to start a fire using a bow drill.
- Flotation: Find out why even the smallest artifacts along with seeds and insect remains are important. Get your hands wet helping recover these important clues to past environments.
- Artifact Identification: Do you think you have an artifact? Bring it to the museum for identification.
- Cookie Excavations: Great activity for the kids. Learn how archaeologists excavate a site with a chocolate chip cookie!
- Context in Archaeology: A great activity for the whole family. What can artifacts tell us about how people live.
- Jury Home Movies: Get to know Wilfrid Jury and his family through these home movies.
- Simulated Dig: Learn how archaeologists excavate a site in our simulated dig pit. Guided excavations will be held at 11:00, 1:00, and 3:00.
- Guided Gallery Tours: Experience the museum through the eyes of our knowledgeable guides. Guided tours are available at 11:30, 1:30, 2:30, and 3:30.