Programming for Grades 4 to 6
General Tour: Introduction to Ontario’s First Nations People (Grades 4-6)
Begin your adventure at the Museum with an introductory film, followed by a special artifact handling and identification session. Complete your trip with a guided tour of the galleries and Lawson Iroquois Village. Students learn about the history of Ontario’s First Nations people before European contact and explore how changes in the climate and environment affected their way of life and technology.
- 1.5 hrs: Includes hands-on artifact activity and village tour. $5/student
Or choose one of our curriculum-based programs below. All programs include the General Tour.
Early Societies-Surprising Similarities (Grade 4)
Uncover the archaeology of early civilizations around the world, comparing cultures found in North & South America, Africa, Europe, and Asia through hands-on activities.
- Half day: Includes “Pottery of the World’ craft.
- Full day: half-day program plus underwater archaeology and Context in Archaeology.
First Nations People & Europeans (Grade 5 and 6)
Discover the history of First Nations peoples before and after contact with Europeans. Students will explore the Fur Trade and how contact affected Canada’s First Nations peoples during the 16th-19th centuries.
- Half day: includes Fur Trade Game
- Full day: half-day program plus choose 2 of the workshops below.
Archaeology in Ontario (Grades 5 and 6)
Students will explore archaeology and the history of Ontario’s First Nations People through hands-on exploration of artifacts and archaeological tools.
- Half day: Includes Context in Archaeology, an exploration of how archaeologists answer questions.
- Full day: Half-day program, plus students will create their own traditional pottery and explore underwater archaeology.
Woodland Style Painting (Grades 4 to 6)
Students explore the elements and principles of design through the work of historical and contemporary Woodland style artists. Students will then apply what they have learned to their own painted creation.
- Half day: Includes an introduction to Ontario’s First Nations people.
- Full day: Also includes Personal Totem Sculptures and Soapstone Pendants.
Suggested workshops for Grades 4-6:
- Woodland Style Painting
- Quill Writing
- Context in Archaeology (how archaeologists draw inferences from their excavations)
- Fur Trade (already included in grade 5\6: First Nations People and Europeans)
- Underwater Archaeology
- Early Societies (already included in grade 4: Early Societies)
- Traditional Games
The Museum of Ontario Archaeology also provides Special Day Programs for Grades 1-8.
If you have any questions about our educational programs, please contact Katie Urban – Learning Coordinator : email@example.com or give us a call: 519-473-1360
The Learning Centre
Download complete pre and post visit lesson plans here:
The Museum requires ample supervision for all programs.
Booking a Program:
Please click the link for more information: Booking a Program
Customize your Program:
Want to add something to your program? Click the link for additional activities: Customize your program