Maple Harvest Festival: March 11-12th. Throughout the weekend, demonstrations will show traditional methods used by Haudenosaunee and Anishinaabec ancestors of the region for harvesting maple sap and converting it into delicious maple products. You will also learn how they used “sweet water” to nourish bodies and spirits, in ceremonies and as a cleansing medicine
Family Fun Day: February 20th. The Museum will be open and is hosting a variety of indoor and outdoor family fun activities for all ages. Experience storytelling, warm up with a fire in the longhouse, tour the gallery, try our MOA VRchaeology experience, create children’s crafts and more.
- Family Fun Day: Monday, February 15, 2016, 10:00-4:00. The Museum of Ontario Archaeology has you covered for family day! Bring your warm woollies and spend the day visiting the museum! We’ll have awesome crafts and activities for the whole family to enjoy! Regular admission applies.
- Medicine Wheel Teachings and Art Workshop: Monday, February 15, 2016, 11:00-12:00 or 2:00-3:00. Join facilitator Hugh Hill, Laka’tos, of the Oneida Nation, and learn about the teachings and significance of the Medicine Wheel in Aboriginal culture in this interactive and family fun workshop. $15.00 for adults; $13.00 for children/youth (age 5-17) (includes admission to the museum).
- Pinch Pot Workshop: Wednesday, August 24, 2016, 6:30 – 8:30 pm. Come and make a pinch pot in the traditional way! We will lead you through the steps of creating a pinch pot in preparation for the pit firing held during the annual Harvest Festival and Pow Wow, lead by the London Potter’s Guild.
- Beading Workshop 2016: Sunday, August 28, 2016, 10:30 am to 3:30 pm. Make your own ring or bracelet using the Peyote stitch with Dakota Ireland.
- Annual Native Harvest Festival and Pow Wow: Saturday and Sunday, September 17 & 18, 2016. Experience aboriginal dancing, drumming, traditional Pow Wow, kids activities, cultural food and crafts, hands-on workshops, and more! Click HERE to volunteer with this event.
- Doors Open London & London Culture Days: Saturday and Sunday, October 1 & 2, 2016, 10:00-4:00. Many behind the scenes opportunities and special activities at sites around London. We will be hosting Flintknapping (Saturday ONLY) and tours of Lawson Site will be held throughout both days with students who participated on our most recent excavation. If you have some archaeological objects you would like to learn more about, Dr. Chris Ellis (Western University) will be at the museum both days for artifact identification.
- London Chapter Ontario Archaeology Society Meetings: Every 2nd Thursday of each month, 8 pm in the Museum’s theatre. Visit their website for further details. Doors open at 7pm.
- International Archaeology Day: Saturday October 15th 2016. Experience archaeology through hands on activities such as flintknapping, heritage tours through the Medway Valley, and learn from guest Lecturer Jonas Fernandez (Archaeological Services Inc.) about archaeology in London Ontario. You will also have the opportunity to discuss archaeology and bring your own artifacts for identification by Dr. Chris Ellis (Western University
- Moccasin Making Workshop: Sunday November 20th 2016. Make your own custom pair of moccasins from genuine hide and fleece. Facilitated by Six Nations artisan Marjorie Henhawk. Advanced Payment & Registration Required.