Programs for Teachers
Education at the Museum of Ontario Archaeology puts history directly in the hands of your students. A school field trip to the museum opens doors and brings the past to life through our unique and experiential programs. With access to almost two million artifacts, over a century of archaeological research and a full size Iroquoian long house, your students will enjoy a truly immersive learning environment while exploring over 13,000 years of human heritage in Ontario.
Field Trips for Students of All Ages
Our education programs extend your classroom teaching by bringing the curriculum to life. We provide as many experiential opportunities as possible from artifact identification and archaeological excavation – to creating woodland paintings and soap stone pendants. All our programs are created to meet your curriculum needs and give you a choice of activities that extend your classroom experience beyond the blackboard.
Explore Ontario’s archaeological heritage and discover Ontario’s First Nations’ history, culture and traditions through inquiry based learning activities tied to the Ontario curriculum.
Select your grade for details about programs for your students.
- Grades 1 to 3 – students will explore First Nations’ history and customs through hand’s on craft activities and traditional games.
- Grades 4 to 6 – multiple field trip program options are available, activity options include: Fur Trade, Personal Totems craft, Medicine Pouch craft, Wampum Belts, Woodland Style Painting, and more. Teachers can customize the experience with a variety of activities.
- Grades 7 and 8 – students will journey back in time to explore the history of Ontario’s First Nations People through hands-on activities and exploration. In addition to the crafts available for grades 4 – 6, students have the opportunity to experience a hands-on artifact activity and more.
- Special Full Day Programs – hands-on programs include Life in a Longhouse and Archaeologist for a Day. Both programs are designed to help students discover Ontario History first hand.
- Edu-Kits and Outreach Programs – unable to schedule a field trip? We can bring Ontario history to your classroom. Most programs can be customized and can be delivered in your classroom.
Booking a Program:
Please request bookings at least two weeks before your preferred date. Tours and programs are booked on a first come, first served basis. Museum staff will try to satisfy requests but note that some dates fill quickly. Fill out this form for a quick inquiry: Elementary Program Inquiry Form or give us a call at 519-473-1360.
The Museum requires ample supervision for all programs. We suggest a minimum ratio of one adult for every 8 students. Adults helping the group will be admitted free (at a ratio of
Half-day programs: $6/person (2.5 hrs)
Full-day programs: $8.50/person (3.5 hrs + .5 hr for lunch)